keskiviikko 10. elokuuta 2011

Kinky Kindle

I love my Kindle.

It's light and one can read it anywhere, even in sunlight. One can read pdf-articles with it which is my main occupation. The battery runs for several weeks and it is fairly easy to use (keyboard is not very good but seldom needed). And what is most important, it is good for they eyes. The e-ink really works.

But I am beginning to hate my Kindle.

The reasons for loving it apply, but this is the second time the screen of my Kindle is frozen. It happened just like the last time - the screen saver (they are, by the way, very nice!) was on and I slid the power switch to get back to reading mode. And then it happened - part of Darwin's picture stayed, the lower part of the screen went blank and there you are - some flickering, no change. Tried every booting alternative there is - nada. I have to call to Amazon customer service again.

Don't get me wrong - Amazon customer service is very helpful.

They will probably send me another device. But in order to achieve that, you will have to call to their customer service in London. And calling from Finland to England is not too cheap. Then you have to pack your device and send that back to them and deal with Ups and arrange two meetings with them - to get the broken one and deliver the new one. Fine. But as this is the second time in three months, I am not too pleased. If the third device gets frozen within three months, I am going to ask my money back and stay with real, physical books which do not froze between readings.

Ps. Last record heard is Beirut: The Rip Tide

Ps. 2. The inevitable happened. I returned the Kindle to Amazon and bought a second-hand ipad. Let's see how it works.

Ei kommentteja: